Making crème brûlée at home has always seemed like an intimidating task. That is, until I discovered the 3-ingredient crème brûlée recipe.
Imagine the delightful moment when you crack through the crispy caramelized sugar layer and discover the velvety custard beneath. This 3-ingredient easy crème brûlée recipe is perfect for dinner parties, special occasions, or simply when you want to treat yourself to something exquisite.
And if you’re eager to explore more delightful recipes, don’t forget to check my website for other mouth-watering treats like Puerto Rican Flan and Pudín De Pan (Dominican Bread Pudding). Your taste buds will thank you!
What is Crème Brûlée?
Crème brûlée, an elegant dessert that evokes images of fine dining and European elegance, has captured the hearts and taste buds of dessert lovers worldwide. But what exactly is this delicacy, and what makes it so special? Let’s discover the magic behind this creamy custard topped with a caramelized sugar crust.
At its core, crème brûlée is made from just a few key ingredients: egg yolks, heavy cream, and vanilla bean paste. These humble components come together to create a luscious, velvety custard.
However, the true star of the show is the burnt sugar topping that gives the crème brûlée its iconic appearance as well as its name. By sprinkling sugar over the creamy custard and caramelizing it with a kitchen torch or broiler, a thin, crispy layer of caramelized sugar crust is formed.
This delightful contrast between the smooth custard and the crunchy, slightly bitter burnt sugar topping is what sets crème brûlée apart from other desserts.
While the traditional crème brûlée recipe calls for vanilla bean paste, there are countless variations and flavors to explore. From chocolate to fruit-infused options, you can find a plethora of crème brûlée recipes to suit any palate.
Why You Will Love This Creme Brûlée Recipe
As someone who loves dessert but doesn’t always have the time or energy to make something elaborate, I can confidently say that this 3-ingredient crème brûlée recipe is a game-changer. Here are a few compelling reasons why this delightful treat will win your heart too:
It’s Easy to Make
One of the biggest selling points of this creme brûlée recipe is how simple it is to make. All you need is some vanilla ice cream, an egg yolk, and a tablespoon of granulated sugar.
Melt the ice cream, whisk in the egg yolk, pour the egg mixture into ramekins, and bake in the oven for a few minutes. Voilà! No intricate steps or elusive ingredients involved.
It’s Surprisingly Delicious
When I first heard about a crème brûlée made with ice cream instead of the traditional heavy cream and vanilla bean or extract, I wasn’t really sure if it will work.
But after trying this recipe for myself, I was pleasantly surprised by how rich and creamy the custard mixture turned out.
The caramelized topping adds the perfect balance of crunch and sweetness, making it a truly delightful dessert.
While the basic recipe calls for vanilla ice cream, you can effortlessly switch things up by using a different flavor. I’ve come across variations of crème brûlée recipes using chocolate, strawberry, and even coffee ice cream, all of which add a unique twist to the classic crème brûlée.
Feel free to experiment with different toppings as well, such as fresh fruit or chopped nuts, to elevate your dessert experience.
Overall, I think this 3-ingredient crème brûlée recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves dessert but doesn’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
Gone are the days when making crème brûlée seemed like a daunting task.
The three essential ingredients for this creme brulee recipe are:
- Ice Cream: You’ll need one pint of your favorite ice cream flavor, vanilla being the classic.
- Egg Yolks: You’ll need an egg mixture of three egg yolks to help thicken the ice cream mixture.
- Swerve Granulated Sugar Substitute: This is a sugar substitute that you’ll use to sweeten the dessert. You can use any brand of granulated sugar substitute that you prefer.
You can also try adding one or more of these optional ingredients:
- Vanilla Bean: If you want to add a more intense vanilla flavor to your dessert, you can use scraped vanilla bean from a vanilla bean pod and add them to the egg yolk mixture.
- White Sugar or Brown Sugar: Instead of using a sugar substitute, you can use white sugar or brown sugar to create the burnt sugar crust on top of your crème brûlée.
- Chocolate: You can add some chopped chocolate to the crème brulee mixture before baking to create a chocolatey twist on this classic dessert.
- Strawberry: You can also add some chopped strawberries to the mixture before baking to add a fruity flavor and texture to the dessert.
To begin, warm up your oven to 325 degrees. Then, spoon the vanilla ice cream into a microwave-safe bowl and heat it at 30-second intervals until it’s melted and warmed, but not hot. Once it’s ready, whisk in the egg yolks until the mixture is smooth and well-combined.
Next, distribute the blend uniformly into two thoroughly buttered ramekins. You can use any size of ramekins you have on hand, but keep in mind that the baking time may vary depending on the size of the ramekins.
Baking the Crème Brûlée
After filling the ramekins with the blend, position them in a baking dish and add hot water into the dish until it reaches half the height of the ramekins’ outside. This will establish a hot water bath.
Cook the creme brulee for about 35 to 40 minutes until the outer layer is firm, while the core remains a bit wobbly. Once finished, extract the ramekins from the water bath and allow them to reach room temperature. Then, chill the creme brulee in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Caramelizing the Sugar
When you’re ready to serve the crème brûlée, evenly distribute the granulated sugar substitute over the top of each ramekin. Use a kitchen torch or an oven broiler to caramelize the sugar until it forms a hard, crisp layer.
Be sure to serve the crème brûlée immediately after caramelizing the sugar topping for the best flavor and texture. Enjoy this easy and delicious recipe with only a few ingredients and hacks to make it perfect.
Tips and Tricks
As someone who loves making desserts, I’ve learned a few tips and tricks for making the perfect 3-Ingredient crème brûlée.
Hacks for Making Perfect Crème Brûlée
- Use high-quality ingredients: Since there are only three ingredients in this recipe, choosing the best quality products is important.
- Make use of hot water: When baking, position the ramekins in a baking dish and pour hot water into the dish until it rises to the midpoint of the ramekins’ sides. This will create a gentle and even heat that will help the custard cook evenly.
- Refrigerate the custard: After baking, let the custard cool to room temperature, then cover each ramekin with plastic film and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, or leave them overnight. This will give the custard time to set and chill completely.
If you’re looking to switch up the flavor of your 3-Ingredient crème brûlée, try one of these variations:
- Cheesecake crème brûlée: Add 4 ounces of softened cream cheese to the custard mixture before baking. This will create a creamy and rich cheesecake flavor.
- Gluten-free crème brûlée: Use a gluten-free vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste to make this dessert gluten-free.
- Sugar layer variations: Instead of using white sugar for the top layer, try using brown sugar or even a mixture of white and brown sugar for a caramel-like flavor.
- Crust variations: For a crunchy crust, sprinkle crushed cookies or graham crackers on top of the custard before baking.
Overall, making 3-Ingredient crème brûlée at home is easier than you might think, especially with these tips and tricks.
What are the essential ingredients for crème brûlée?
The essential ingredients for crème brûlée are egg yolks, heavy cream, and sugar. Some recipes may also call for vanilla extract or other flavorings, but these are not essential.
What kind of baking dish should I use to make crème brûlée?
Use ramekins or other small, oven-safe dishes to make crème brûlée. The size of the dish will depend on the recipe, but most crème brûlée recipes call for 4-6 ounce ramekins.
Can I make crème brûlée without a torch?
Yes, instead of using a torch to caramelize the sugar on top, you can broil the crème brûlée in the oven for a few minutes until the sugar is caramelized.
What’s the best way to achieve a perfect caramelized top for crème brûlée?
The best way to achieve a perfect caramelized top for crème brûlée is to use a torch. Keep the torch approximately 2-3 inches distant from the sugar and move it in a circular motion until the sugar is caramelized. If you don’t have a torch, you can broil the crème brûlée in the oven for a few minutes until the sugar is caramelized.
How to Store
As someone who loves making 3-ingredient crème brûlée, I know that it’s important to store it properly to maintain its freshness and flavor.
- Refrigerate: Crème brûlée should be stored in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. Encase the ramekins with plastic film or aluminum foil and position them in the refrigerator. The crème brûlée can be preserved in the fridge for a duration of up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Situate the ramekins inside a sealed container and store them in the freezer for a period extending up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw the crème brûlée in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve at Room Temperature: Crème brûlée is best served at room temperature. So, if you’ve stored it in the fridge or freezer, make sure to take it out and let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Do Not Refreeze: Once you’ve thawed the crème brûlée, do not refreeze it. Refreezing can cause the texture to change and it may not taste as good.
By following these simple tips, you can store your 3-ingredient crème brûlée properly and enjoy it whenever you want.
How to Serve 3-Ingredient Creme Brulee
After making this simple yet delicious dessert, it’s time to serve it up!
1. Caramelizing the Sugar
The most important step in serving crème brûlée is caramelizing the sugar on top. You can do this by using a kitchen torch or by placing the ramekins under the broiler. I prefer using a kitchen torch, as it gives me more control over the caramelization process. Be sure to evenly coat the top of the custard with a layer of sugar before caramelizing.
Once the sugar has been caramelized, it’s time to plate the dessert. I like to serve my crème brûlée in the same ramekins that I used to bake them in. However, you can also use small dessert plates or bowls.
3. Serving Temperature
Crème brûlée is best served chilled, so be sure to refrigerate the dessert for at least a few hours before serving. I like to take the dessert out of the fridge about 10 minutes before serving, so that it’s not too cold.
While crème brûlée is delicious on its own, you can also serve it with a few accompaniments. Just be sure not to overpower the delicate flavor of the custard.
Overall, serving 3-ingredient crème brûlée is simple and straightforward. With a little bit of caramelization and some creative plating, you can impress your guests with this classic dessert.
CRÈME BRÛLÉE WITH 3 INGREDIENTS
- 1 pint Ice cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the keto ice cream into a microwave-safe bowl. Utilize 30-second intervals to gently melt and warm the ice cream. Ensure that it's warmed but not overheated.
- Gradually incorporate the egg yolks into the warmed ice cream, using a whisk to blend them effectively.
- Pour the resultant mixture evenly into two generously greased ramekins.
- Position the ramekins within a baking dish. Pour hot water into the dish, filling it to a level that reaches halfway up the outer sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the crème brûlée for 35-40 minutes. Monitor it closely, ensuring that the outer layer solidifies while the center retains a slight jiggle.
- Once baked, allow the crème brûlée to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top of each crème brûlée. Caramelize the sugar with a kitchen torch or by using the oven's broiler.
- Serve chilled for an optimum gourmet experience.